The Need To Be Needed











In the world of relationships, whether it be
between friends and family, husband and wife, dating couples, or even just acquaintances to name a few, there are many dynamics. Recently in a couple of conversations with two entirely different people I heard the remark that they had a needy friend. I thought to myself exactly what defines the word needy ? What the dictionary defines is Needy: someone who lacks the the necessities of life; or someone who is poor. Often times I believe that because a person needs a friend doesn't mean that he or she needs what you have literally as in things. In most cases they virtually need your spirit
of friendship, because they genuinely like you or love you, and enjoy being with you. Its truly an honor to actually be needed most of the time, we carry a desire from birth to want to be needed in these ways. God has instilled it in us to need one another. So that from the very beginning we will desire to know Him as He created us first to be His friend... Yes thats right HIS FRIEND...He calls me FRIEND...

John 15:14-1512 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

It should be very simple that we would just accept this and as a result accept into our lives friends of all sorts, and without conditions. We must get beyond our own expectations and fully understand God's heart for He said :
“It is not good that the Man should be alone,” is something we all know from personal experience. Human beings were created for community, for partnership, for sharing the joys and sorrows of life together – not just in marriage, but in all kinds of other ways as well. Theologically sensitive people might ask, “Well, couldn’t fellowship with God himself have kept Adam from being alone?” No, fellowship with God could not meet Adam’s need for community. And why not? Because God is “Other.” God does not have a body. God is pure Spirit. In his love and wisdom.
God the Creator discerned that we human beings would need incarnate, “physical” companionship if we are not to be alone and feel lonely. Don't misunderstand God did not create human beings because He needed them. As God, He needs nothing. In all eternity past, He felt no loneliness, so He was not looking for a “friend.” He loves us, but this is not the same as needing us. If we had never existed, God would still be God—the unchanging One (Malachi 3:6). The I AM (Exodus 3:14) was never dissatisfied with His own eternal existence. When He made the universe, He did what pleased Himself, and since God is perfect, His action was perfect. “It was very good” (Genesis 1:31). This information alone can help us look at our friendships in a different light. If we were not needed what exactly then would our purpose be ? To just merely exist ? How sad and boring at that! Its time to be be grateful for all that God has given us especially our friendships, feel BLESSED that someone actually needs your support and love , your gifts and talents, your listening ear and kind heart. The gift of gab ha ! Some people wished that they could know someone that talks to them period... I am not surprised that God would put this on my ( HEART ) Valentine's Eve. I need to be a friend as much my friends need me to be theirs. Believe me I have to practice my own thoughts. Sometimes we just have to step away and take a good look. For some of us its time to start pouring into others lives and quit soaking. Maybe... just maybe we can stop all the whining about the needy people in our lives and be the friend that God has called us to be. With Him and with them .








Comments

Popular Posts